Welcome to the Workers' Compensation Information and Advisory Service

The Workers’ Compensation Information and Advisory Service provides information to injured workers, unions and community organisations about the workers’ compensation system in Queensland.

To contact the Service call 1800 102 166.

Can I lodge an Appeal if the review fails?

If an Application for Review is unsuccessful, you can lodge an Appeal with the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission. An Appeal must be lodged within 20 business days. Before deciding to lodge an Appeal you should contact your Union to discuss or seek legal advice. WCIS cannot provide representation or legal ...
Read More

How to make an application for review.

If you disagree with the insurer's decision on your claim, you can lodge an Application for Review with the Regulator. A review is an independent administrative process conducted by a Review Officer from the Regulator who will make a decision on the review based on the information contained on the ...
Read More

How to make an application for workers’ compensation.

If you are injured at work or sustain a work-related illness you can apply for workers' compensation. An application for Workers' Compensation must be lodged within 6 months of sustaining a workplace injury or illness. If an application is lodged more than 20 days after incurring and injury or illness, ...
Read More

What is the Workers’ Compensation Information Service?

The Workers' Compensation Information Service provides information to injured workers, unions and community organisations about the worker' compensation system in Queensland ...
Read More

Who’s Who in Workers Compensation?

The Regulator is the ndependent statutory authority, established to oversee the Queensland workers' compensation system. The Regulator runs the Review Unit, administers the Medical Assessment Tribunals and monitors compliance and licensing issues. WorkCover Queensland is the main provider of workers' compensation insurance to Queensland employers. Licensed Self-Insurers are Queensland employers who have ...
Read More

What is a “Medical Assessment Tribunal”?

Medical Assessment Tribunals are run by the Workers’ Compensation Regulator and are an independent panel of doctors who make decisions about an injured worker’s work-related injury. An insurer will usually refer an injured worker to a Medical Assessment Tribunal when:
  • there are differing medical opinions about the injury
  • the ...
    Read More

What happens if my claim is accepted?

Current legislation determines the insurer must make a decision on an application within 20 business days of the application being lodged. Once the insurer has assessed an application they will make a decision whether to accept or reject the application. If your application is accepted you will be notified by ...
Read More

Should I keep copies of everything?

Yes. Keep a copy for your own records of any forms, medical certificates and additional information you provide to WorkCover or the self-insurer ...
Read More

What sort of information should I supply?

One of the most important aspects of a claim for workers’ compensation is establishing the link between the injury or illness and work. Sometimes the doctor provides a clear opinion of the link between your work and your injury or illness and there may be no need to provide additional ...
Read More

What time do I have to apply?

It is best to lodge an application for workers’ compensation as soon as possible to the time the injury was sustained and you attended a doctor in relation to the injury. Legislation determines that an application for workers’ compensation must be lodged within six months of incurring a workplace injury ...
Read More

How do I lodge an application?

If the insurer is WorkCover, you can lodge your application, a medical certificate from the Regulator and all additional information direct to WorkCover from most doctor surgeries. Alternatively you can download an application from WorkCover and send by fax or email, or lodge your claim online. If your employer is a self-insurer ...
Read More

What should I do if I am injured?

If you are injured at work or have a work-related injury or illness you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. You have the right to attend your own treating doctor. Report the incident to your employer as soon as possible and complete an incident report if you are ...
Read More

What is Workers’ Compensation?

The Queensland Workers’ Compensation Scheme provides coverage to Queensland workers who sustain a work-related injury or illness which prevents them from working and/or the work-related injury requires medical treatment. Workers’ compensation can be: weekly payments if the worker is unable to work payment of reasonable medical treatment costs and rehabilitation ...
Read More