The Rail Tram & Bus Union (Queensland Branch) is seeking an enthusiastic industrial officer to work with our team to help build union.
The position will be based in the Brisbane Office working across our Rail, Tram and Bus Divisions as needed.
The ideal candidate has a limited experience as an industrial officer, or has worked as a union organiser, or similar, with some understanding of the state and federal industrial relations legal framework.
The RTBU is an equal opportunity employer and as such, encourage women and first nations peoples to apply.
RTBU Industrial Officers operate in a dynamic, challenging but supportive environment. Working across the public and private sectors, Industrial Officers work long hours to help support our organising efforts, represent the union in industrial tribunals, negotiate enterprise and other agreements as well as provide high quality advice to members, delegates, and officials alike.
Industrial Officers are required to be proficient in communicating across a variety of platforms including traditional, electronic, and social media.
Organisers need to be able to demonstrate an ability to plan their work and execute their plan having regard to the fact a proportion of work is unpredictable. Having a good understanding of how to effectively set and reach goals is important.
An RTBU Industrial Officer can be expected to represent members individually or in groups for disputes, bargaining and other related matters. They are also expected to be able to mount member led campaigns at all stages – from conception to celebration.
Organisers work as part of a team with people from different backgrounds and disciplines. They need to be able to work proactively in that environment and as part of a team.
The Applicant will be able to:
- Provide advice to members and negotiate with employers as required.
- Advocate for members who have been terminated.
- Run disputes in the Fair Work Commission.
- Together with leadership, advise and assist in enterprise bargaining across the RTBU’s industries.
- Provide advice to the Branch on compliance-related matters.
- Work as part of a high functioning team with competing deadlines
- Relevant tertiary qualifications or equivalent.
- experience in the trade union movement.
- demonstrated negotiating, advocacy and campaign skills.
- demonstrated commitment to and understanding of principles of organising.
- commitment to union principles.
- High level communication skills across traditional and new media.
- Ability to work as part of a high functioning team in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to union and labour movement values.
- Driver’s Licence.
- Solid understanding of Workplace Health & Safety legislation as they relate to organising.
Your application should address as many of the dot points above as possible.
The Position carries an attractive package with salary commensurate with the experience and skills of the successful applicant.
If you require any further information in respect of this position, please contact:
Lead Industrial Officer
[email protected] or 0738394988
All approaches will be treated in strictest confidence.
Please also include a CV, and one page cover letter, along with your application and send to:
Private and Confidential
457 Upper Edward Street, Brisbane Qld 4000
Or email to [email protected]
Applications close at 4pm, 19 March.
Download more information about this Industrial Organiser position at the RTBU.