The QTU, the union which represents approximately 48,000 primary, secondary, special and TAFE teachers, is inviting applications for the position of QTU Organiser, Peninsula and North West (based in Cairns) to commence Tuesday 6 October 2020.
The duties include: The Organiser will assist and coordinate Union and branch organisation activities and campaigns; visit schools in their area; recruit new members; provide advice and assistance to members; investigate and report on Union affairs; negotiate with departmental officials; promote the Union and its membership; assist members in organising campaigns; and perform such other duties as required by the General Secretary.
Selection criteria for appointment
- Demonstrated commitment to trade unionism and commitment to public education.
- Demonstrated capacity to analyse developments in education, the teaching profession, industrial relations and unions and to formulate options and recommendations in response.
- Demonstrated capacity to organise and structure successful campaigns involving members.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and to work as part of and contribute to a multi-disciplinary team.
- Tertiary qualifications appropriate to education and/or industrial relations.
- Potential for further development.
The suitability of an applicant will be assessed against the above criteria, having regard to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position.
Conditions for position
- Salary: $134,322 p/a
- Generous leave provisions/superannuation.
Term of office for position
The initial term of office is up to four years. The Peninsula and North West Queensland Organisershall be eligible to hold office for consecutive terms.
Six months prior to the conclusion of each term of office, the QTU Executive shall determine whether the office of the Peninsula and North West Queensland Organisershould be declared vacant. The incumbent has the right of appeal to Council against the decision of Executive. The decision of Council shall be final.
Applications, including experience, qualifications and other information relevant to the selection criteria should be emailed to the General Secretary at [email protected] by noon on Tuesday 14 July. Your application should include; two written references, the name and address of further referees, Arial 12 point font, no more than two pages per selection criteria and not in PDF format. Short-listed applicants will be required for interview sometime prior to a final decision on the appointment being made at QTU State Council on Saturday 12 September.